We all know that healthy food leads to healthy kids. Dentists know, what kids eat and drink greatly impacts their oral health, too. Foods rich in calcium, phosphorus, and Vitamin D are vital to strong teeth. Furthermore, drinks that help reduce, rather than promote, acid levels in the mouth are key to preventing tooth decay.
When your kids are looking for a snack, pick from this list for good oral health:
- WATER: Boring? Maybe. Nonetheless, it’s a great place to start for oral health! Water helps keep harmful acid levels in the mouth down. Also, it doesn’t contain any other sugars or ingredients to feed bacteria. The fluoride added to most city water adds another layer of defense to teeth, boosting their resistance to cavities.
- DAIRY: Milk and cheese are low in sugar, but high in protein. Moreover, they contain calcium to strengthen teeth. Be careful of yogurts: some can be very high is sugar!
- LEAN PROTEINS: Skinless chicken, fish, eggs, and other lean meats are phosphorus-rich foods. What’s the big deal about phosphorous? It plays an important role in helping the body absorb calcium and Vitamin D, so they can strengthen tooth enamel.
- FRUITS AND VEGGIES: Even though they can contain natural sugars, fruits and vegetables also contain plenty of water to help neutralize those sugars. Their many vitamins and minerals promote overall health, too!
- NUTS: Not only are nuts full of protein, but they are also low in carbohydrates. Why is that important? Carbohydrates feed bacteria that produce harmful acids in the mouth, so foods low in carbohydrates are easier on teeth. Plus, nuts take a lot of chewing power and saliva production. Saliva is the mouth’s natural water supply which keeps acid levels in check!
Unfortunately, not all families in our area have regular access to these healthy foods. According to the Akron-Canton Regional Food Bank’s statistics, 26,620 children in Summit County, Ohio are food insecure. This means they do not know where their next meal is coming from.
We here at Dr. Laura Adelman and Associates, Inc., now Great Beginnings Pediatric Dentistry, want to help! Watch this video of Dr. Laura, Dr. Rachel, and some team members as they explain the need for food in our area, and their plan to help!
September is Hunger Action Month
From September 1, 2016 to September 25, 2016, we’re working to Help Kiss Hunger Good-Bye in Summit County by collecting quarters to donate to the Akron-Canton Regional Food Bank.
- Why QUARTERS? The food bank’s buying power means they can purchase 1.2 pounds of food–the equivalent of one meal–for $0.25! Thus, by collecting funds, instead of canned goods, we hope to make the biggest impact possible.
- What is the GOAL? We’re trying to collect 2016 quarters to buy 2016 meals for this year! That’s about $500 to provide over 2,000 meals to our community
- What’s the KISSING all about? If we reach this goal, Dr. Laura and Dr. Rachel will KISS a GOAT!
WHERE can I donate?
We’re collecting quarters right in our office! We’re also pleased to have the help of the following local businesses who are also helping our cause. You can also donate to any of these following locations:
- Dr. Gen Orthodontics: 9964 Vail Drive, Suite 2, Twinsburg, OH
- Kathy’s Little Angels: 9724 Ravenna Road, Twinsburg, OH
- Twinsburg KinderCare: 2572 Glenwood Drive, Twinsburg, OH
- Young Explorers of Twinsburg: 8903 Twin Hills Parkway, Twinsburg, OH
Dr. Laura and Dr. Rachel are pediatric dentists committed to serving their community. This blog is not intended to provide medical or dental advice. It is for informational purposes only.